2.02.2011

Walking to school...

A week ago I asked my boss for 3 days off this week and had asked Eric to spend a couple nights at the beach: just the two-of-us. Buuuuut, he thought it was a better idea for me to spend the time helping Matt look for a job, so I am using this time to help Matt on job search as well as get him going on GED prep...

The silver lining in this cloud is that I get to spend some much needed Mommy time with the little one's and also get some housecleaning done.

I miss out on being able to kiss them bye at the bus stop and be there when they get off the afternoon bus and get the happy-screaming hugs that they offer at that time. I am thankfull that I have a job, and I DO enjoy my job, but I miss these times with the kids. They're growing up so fast!!

Today Levi wanted to walk to school. His first time ever. And, true to form, Vivian wanted to do the opposite: ride the bus. So I kissed her at the bus stop, left her with Daddy and headed off to walk with Levi. It's cold. Like 28 degrees outside. (please let my newly budding plants live through this)But my little dude and I walked to school. His hand even got cold enough that he gave in and held my hand in my warm pocket for a few minutes :) We met his friend Gunner outside his house and the boys walked (well ran) towards the school yard...



I watched as they (a LOT of loud kids) waited outside the doors to their wing until time to go into their classrooms. I got to see how Levi deals with the noise attacking his sensory being. He did well, I can see the coping mechanisms that are not-so-obvious to any other bystander; unless, that is, they are also raising a sensory kid, I guess. He did great. He has made some great friends this year with boys in their grade, and even asked this morning if he could play at Gunner's house after school. The bell rang, Levi was chosen to help hold the doors open and they filed in the hallway. I knew I shouldn't leave until Vivian arrived on her bus, or she'd never let me hear the end of it...

So I waited.

and waited...

and waaaaaaaited...

Bus 250 apparently had a malfunction. It arrived after the last bell. Off the bus bounces my Vivian. Happy as ever to see me, as if she hadn't seen me just a short time before when I walked away from the bus stop. I got my Vivian hug, and off she trotted towards the land of first graders, my utterly independant girl (when she wants to be).


I'm enjoying my extra time with the kids this week, happy to insert into "their world" a little more than I am able to on a weekly basis.

Only thing that could have made the walk to school this morning better would have been for me to be walking all my little one's to school, trying to hold three hands... Strange how the smallest of things trigger the longing for Little Eric once again.


Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6

No comments: