4.07.2010

Question for you... comments?

Something has bugged me for a long time. I need input, please.


Let me preface this by saying, everyone has somewhat different parenting styles and thoughts. I am not knocking anyone, I am just asking if I am "over the top"...

Do you think it's okay to leave children under the age of 7 or 8 in a vehicle alone while you run into a store "just for a quick second".

First of all, we all know that just a quick second doesn't really happen when you run into a convenience market, a bank, or virtually anywhere. There are lines to wait in, time to get rung up or to have your transaction completed.


My thought is as follows:


NEVER. Never will I leave my kids in a car, for any amount of time. My take since Levi and Vivian were born has been that if I need to run into a store, bank or other establishment, I need to be prepared to carry both carseats, carry the kids, or have them walk in with me.


This thought on my part is twofold:


1. In the state of Washington, where we live, I understand that it is a misdemeanor to leave a child under the age of 12 unattended in a car for any amount of time. No way am I putting not only my children in danger, nor my ability to parent my children.


2. It's just not right. I wouldn't walk away from my car and leave my purse or wallet sitting on the seat unattended; why would I leave the most precious thing in my life in there unattended?? No flipping way. There is no amount of convenience worth that.

We do live in a relatively safe community. But that doesn't stop one bad person from taking a car from a parking lot, or taking KIDS from a car in a parking lot. No community is completely crime free...


But I have a "friend" that routinely does this. I don't know how I can explain any more precisely to them how this is wrong, but I really want them to stop this practice.

So...comments, please. should I just let this one go? Is it less of a big deal than I think?

© erikalandon2010

1 comment:

Rodney said...

I completely agree that it is dangerous as well as stupid to leave kids in a car unattended. Even if the doors are locked it only takes a second to break a window and grab the kids.