6.20.2010

We do things a little different around here...



With Eric being on the road on weekends, weekend holidays are celebrated the Friday before... So, we took Eric for a little ride for Fathers Day...

A few years back (almost 10?), Eric had mentioned to me once that he'd always wanted to be a train conductor. That may not have been in his future (unless he decides to drive for an Oregon company and pull triples, LOL!) but a couple months back, I decided a ride on a Real Steam Train would be cool for him for Fathers Day...

So I bought the tickets and kept a secret. Yes. Me. I kept a secret; believe it? I was so proud of myself... (well, I did tell Matt, and he ended up not being able to go because he had to work...)

So, I took Friday off. Eric said "why do you have Friday off?" "why not?" I said. Thursday  I told him he had to be ready to go by 7:30 am. He said "where are we going?" "nowhere." I said. I packed a lunch, loaded the kids in the morning, we headed out in the van, and Eric said "where we going?" "I'm not tellin'." I said.

120 miles later, as we crossed the bridge to Elbe, I told the kids the story about what Daddy used to want to be, and that we were going to ride on a real steam train. Not diesel, steam! Eric was excited, Levi was exstatic, Vivian was intrigued, and Megan heard none of the conversation because she was in the third row listening to nothing but her Ipod. Typical, LOL!

We visited the Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad and rode the Steam Train. It was a lot of fun, and turned out to be a great Fathers Day...

We ate lunch both during the train ride and at Mineral lake where it stopped for a bit. On the 45 minute ride to the lake we learned something new, the train started up a relatively small hill and lost traction; had to roll back down the hill and take onther run at it; we learned that the weight of the train causes it to easily lose traction on small hills, you know, the metal on metal and all... At Mineral Lake Eric got to climb in the Steam Engine car and check it out, then Vivian slept most of the way back on my lap. It was a good day, I wished Matt could have been there, but it's good that he's working.











To my husband: I love you Eric, thank you for helping to raise Matt and Megan, for hanging in there when I am as stubborn as we both know I can be. Thank you also, from the bottom of my heart, for being a great father of our miracle babies, and being so strong through all the sadness and joy after they were born, after Eric Jr. died, through Vivian's medical care and now today as we figure out Levi and find out how absolutely strong our little Vivian is. Thank you, and Happy Fathers Day, I love you.
And to my Dad... Happy Fathers Day. I miss you more than I could ever even find the words to tell you. I can't wait to see you in August. The grace that you showed as you raised Trina and I all those years is immeasurable. The things you taught me could never have been taught by anyone else. Over a decade ago I wrote in an essay "I want the chance to support my children as well as my father has...", and I truly meant that Dad.  I got that scholarship that I wrote the essay for, to the chagrin of many that thought it should go to a man, and it opened up a whole new world for me! You showed me the importance of hard work, morals, values and manners; and many many other things. I could never have grown to be the mom that I am today without your guidance. Although I surely don't say it enough, you are so important to my life, not only back then as I was growing into the person that I am today, but also today as I raise my own kids, and can only hope that I am doing close to as good a job.


I don't have a lot of pictures from when Trina and I were little... but here's a short trip down memory lane; Top left corner is A trip to Seaside, I think Trina (on your right) is about 8 and I  (on your left) am about 6?, Top right corner is you in '69... the kids think it's funny that you had a cat that looks just like Shadow!, Bottom left is a fathers day camping or fishing trip in the late 70's or early 80's, and bottom right is you with one of us girls... I don't know if it's Trina or I, (I think Trina) but it's still a picture I cherish...
I love you, Dad. Happy Fathers Day.

And yes, also to my ex-husband, David. Happy Fathers Day. I am glad you got to spend the day with your kids today. Matt and Megan are a blessing in my life as well, and I thank you for that.

© erikalandon2010

1 comment:

Trina said...

Really good blog, Erika. It sounds like you guys had a good time-- I'm glad! You have become quite a writer-- I could not have put into words everything you said about Dad. Dad, ditto everything she said and I love you, too!